Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Too much to explain, so I'll sum up

Yom Kippur: We went to Kibbutz (No, I don't remember the name. It was more then an hours drive away) and the whole group split off to different minyanim, either at one of two Hesder Yeshivas, one in the Kibbutz shul, and one Sephardi minyan. I went to the Hesder Yeshiva on the main kibbutz campus, and it was wonderful. I didn't make it to everything (I was still feeling sick) but everything I was at was more inspirational then many minyanim I have been at. There was great singing, all of the guys were really into it, etc. There was only a half-hour break incorporated into the davening, and at the end we sang random stuff to stall for time until Maariv. Also, they sang every single line in Avinu Malkeinu, which was partially to stall for time, and partly the local custom, apparently. I wan't expecting it, though. I also noticed for the first time that the sun takes around twenty minutes to set here. Maybe less. One second it's light outside, the next it's not. A little bit disorienting.


Succot: So, there is entire saga of calls made between me and Ruthie (a friend of mine going to another Sem. who I really wanted to spend some time with, so we were trying to get together for the first days.) and Tzippy H. (my cousin, who we were trying to spend the first days at). But in the abbreviating attitude of this post, it all worked out and Ruthie and I met a the Kotel Wednesday afternoon (we were supposed to meet at noon. I got very, very lost, first on the bus system and then later in the Old City. So we met closer to one o'clock.) and we went out to lunch before picking up her stuff at her Sem. and heading to the Tachana Merkazit (Central Bus Station). We caught the right bus, no problem, but ended up gettting off a stop late. Oops. Still, I called David (Tzippy's husband) and he picked us up. Good thing, 'cause Ruthie had at least three bags, and I had my HUGE Israeli backpack I had bought on Tuesday. It is large, blue, and awesome, I could smuggle small children in it, and I can fit six outfits along with toiletries and other stuff for traveling. It's a little unwieldy, but I like it.
Anyway, I then meet my second cousins - four boys and a little girl. Anyone who know me knows that it took me the better part of two days to remember everyone's names, but I've got it down now. :D Anyway, Wednesday night through Thurday was run-of-the mill, we went to shul, ate meals, napped. Thurday night, it got a little interesting. Ruthie is keeping two days of chag this year, and I'm only keeping one. So, basically, we found a local place that was having a second day davening (Reishit Yeshiva, for the curious) and we decided to go there. One of the boys drove me there so I'd know the way Friday morning, and I set an alarm before we went to sleep. And the next morning we got up bright and early and trecked to the Yeshiva. I brought a cell phone in case we got lost, and I hid it before we got there. The Yeshiva gate was propped open with a rock, but there weren't any clear directions, so we wandered for a bit unti we heard davening, and then we just followed the sound until we found it. We made pretty good time.
That afternoon we read for a bit. I was in charge of the lights and the fan. It was pretty hot, so we wanted to fan on, but it made this annoying THUMPTHUMP noise after a while, and it got hard to concetrate. So it was my job to fiddle with it, turning it on and off. Then Ruthie decided to take a nap and I went to check my e-mail.
That night was our last night and it was great. Some friends from up the street came to visit and we ended up hanging out in the succah until 1:30 in the morning, joking around and having a great time. The next day, after lunch, we went over to the friends' house and played Power Grid, this interesting German board game. The instructions were badly translated and hysterical to read. I also borrowed some books (I've been trying to get my hands on good R.A.H. and there he was!) I don't really get a lot of reading time, but I'll be here all year.
The bus ride home was a first for me. This very clearly drunk Israeli girl was harrasing me, but I couldn't understand most of what she was saying. She did insult my manners, though, which I found hysterical in retrospect, because she was loud and obnoxious, and repetedly told to shut up by other people on the bus. Still, adventure, right?
Ruthie and hung out in the Tachana Merkazit for a while. We met a friend of hers and ate dinner, while contemplating what to do next. I wanted to take the bus back to Sem. but I didn't feel comfortable leaving Ruthie in a cab by herself. So we took a cab together to Ben Yehudah, where she met up w/friends and I caught the last bus. (Funny fact. We both know Rami L. Me from school, and her from Machach. And guess who the first person we saw on Ben Yehuda was?) I got back to the dorm and crashed. It was an awesome weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update! Sounds like an awesome adventure!
Love, mom

Mister D said...

"I've been trying to get my hands on good R.A.H. and there he was!"

Heh... good for you. :)

Glad to hear that you're having a good year and that you're still reading good books.

When I was in Israel I made almost weekly visits to an excellent used book shop called Sefer Ve'Sefel. According to what I can find online, it is Upstairs at 2 Ya'avetz, just by 40 Jaffa Rd. Yavetz St. goes from Yaffo to the stairs on Ben Hillel St. and the store is in an alley off of Jaffa St. near the Bat Ayin clothing store.

Even been there?

- Uncle Seth