Sunday, September 9, 2007

Selichot and Sunday Morning.

We're two for two in terms of Selichot inspiration, for those of you keeping track at home. But I did lose my place in the middle, 'cause the guy leading was great on the tunes, but not so great at the clear articulation.
I'm probably going to Becca The Madricah's room for baking tonight, to hang out with some people. I don't know what we're baking, but if we successfully manage it in her little itty bitty kitchenette, I'll be impressed with us.
Also, today was not the first day I woke up fifteen minutes before class, (which starts at 9:15 on Sundays and 8:30 on all other days) but today was the first day I grabbed the wrong books before class. That's a milestone, right? We have Chumash class on Sundays and Wednesday mornings for roughly 3.5 hours, and Gemarah on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday mornings for four hours, except when they do Rotating Ramim, more on that later. We don't have class on Fridays.) So I ran out of my room with my Rosh Hashana and my Jastrow dictionary, reached my room a few minutes early, saw that the Daf Yomi shiur was still in progress (My Ram gives Daf Yomi every day, sometimes before class and sometimes during lunch. I am not in this class, as it is optional and would take a HUGE chunk from my day.) I dropped my stuff in the classroom, walked down the hall eating my breakfast (my last green apple, I need to get more soon, before I start going through withdrawal) when it hit me that I had the wrong books. Oops. Luckly, I carry my Tanach with me everywhere, so I used it for the first hour or so of class until he sent us to chevrutah, when I ran up to my room and grabbed my Torat Chayim, my Mikraot G'dolot, and my notebook.
I'll do a rundown of my classes later, but suffice to say, I love my Chumash teacher, but the class is in Hebrew and I'm definitely missing at least 40% of what he's saying (Waaaay down from my estimation of 70% on the first day, though). And chevrutah is not really my thing. It's interesting, and it'll probably be the best way for me to learn post-Seminary, but I don't enjoy it that much, mostly due to my poor Hebrew skills. It's hard to learn with someone when she's translating for you ALL THE TIME. Also, Jewish Guilt kicks in, and I feel like I'm not pulling my weight, etc. I might start prepping my Gemarah classes in Night Seder, and see if that helps. But honestly, my Aramaic skills are much worse then my Hebrew.
We also had some interesting lesson in Women and Halacha tonight, but they might be a little risque for my newly-minted blog, so I'm holding off on in-depth discussions about my learning for now.
See you next break!

No comments: