Wednesday, April 2, 2008

In As Few Words As Possible

I went to Poland for a week. It was a highly meaningful experience, and I would highly recommend going with someone who appreciates the vibrant Jewish life that existed in Poland pre-war and not only the horrors and the death. (Yes, this does deserve more attention)
I went to Ir David when I came back, followed by a school shabbaton at Shadmot M'Cholah (spelling probably wrong) Then it was the WEEK OF PURIM. Dress like your Ram day, Rep your 'hood day, and finally the big HARRY POTTER DAY PURIM EXTRAVAGANZA!! We had a Triwizard Tournament between the Rammim and then the winner (Rav Sch - my old Ram) defeated Voldemort (Rav Br. who was also the leader of our Poland trip and the token Israeli who can barely speak English in our administration. It is also worth noting that he knows next to nothing about Harry Potter and was mystefied by most of the event) For Purim I stayed in the dorm, as it is halachically problematic to sleep in Yerushalayim Thrusday night and anywhere else Friday night on Purim Mshulash. It was quiet, I ate dinner at Aviva G.'s and lunch with my Eim and Av Bayit, whom I don't know so well, so it was nice to talk to them.
Another week of school, then shabbos in Katamon/San Seemon for a Bkiut Gemarah shabbaton. An excellent time, despite getting mildly lost from Katamon to Rav Wr.'s house.
Now I am planning my trip for the first two weeks of Pesach break. For those of you not in the know, I am going to Amsterdam for a few days, then Italy for ten days, and youth hostels are NOT as cheap as I'd like them to be. I have mastered the art of finding decent-seeming (I haven't exactly had the opportunity to check them out) places under $50 a night, but it gets tricky when you aim for under $40 a night, especially when you REFUSE to sleep in a coed dorm, but we found a few option. I'll try to keep you posted, in more detail, later.
It's nearly 2:10 and I'm heading to bed. Hopefully my e-mail to Chabad about eating on there on shabbos in Florence got to the right place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Update!!Love the experiences and adventures!!!
Love ya,
mom

Rabbi Richard Wolpoe said...

OK so not in israel you have only ONE day of Yomtov for holidays like passover and Shavuot
So how do you explain Purim turning into a THREE-DAY affair in Israel?

V'nahapoch hu?